Colston Bassett & District Dairy Limited was built in 1913, funded by a group of local milk producers, and other local people. It was built specifically to make Stilton Cheese, a local speciality made in farmhouses in the area. The only breaks in production were in wartime, a little cheddar was made in WWII.
The dairy was set up as a farmers co-operative and registered with the Registrar of Friendly Societies, and remains so to this day.
Although over the years the number of milk producers has fallen from around 18 to only 4 today, this has been in the main due to consolidation of farms. In fact today the local pasturised whole cows milk is largely produced from the same pastures as it was in the beginning. These 4 farms now make more milk than the original 18.
Over the years improvements have been made to the dairy to comply with today's rigorous demands of hygienic food production. However the method of manufacture has been kept as close to the old ways as possible.
Colston Bassett Dairy has a proud history of supplying quality specialist cheese shops, delicatessen, and wholesalers both in the UK, America and across Europe.